Morphcat Games, who last year ran a successful crowd funding campaign to raise funds to produce the cartridge, box and manual for their new Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) game – Micro Mages, has recently made the game available on a general retail basis.
Micro Mages is an upward vertical scrolling platform game that sees you take on the role of a Mage who has just teleported himself across to the Old Demon Fortress in order to save the Princess from her evil captor. To do this, you will have to battle your way up its towers, taking on ghastly creatures and navigating deadly traps in order to defeat the evil bosses lurking at the top.
Micro Mages is packed full of features, including:
- 8 worlds spanning a total of 26 levels (normal + hard mode)
- Up to 4 simultaneous players
- Compatible with the NES FourScore and Hori 4-player adapter
- If you die in multiplayer mode, you’ll turn into a ghost so you can help your friends
- Power up with Fairies and Magical Seagulls
- Spooky boss battles
- Checkpoints and password function
- NES cartridge version comes with box and instruction booklet
- Rom version runs on PC and many other platforms via emulation
Micro Mages provides a wonderful gaming experience, where by the main mechanics within the game is shooting magic spells at enemies and using wall jumps to climb to the top of each tower. The wall jump action is quite easy to pull off as the game controls are responsive and you feel like you have good control of your character at all times.
The overall production values on Micro Mages are very high. The graphics look great. They are vibrant, detailed and everything moves so well. The soundtrack on offer is of quality and fits the game perfectly. The level design has been well thought out to provide an engaging challenge that is both balanced and interesting for the whole game.
Micro Mages is a great platform game that we would easily recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the NES system or platform games in general. A full review of the game can be found in the video below.
Both physical and digital editions of Micro Mages are available for purchase at: