It’s been some time in the making, but the Adventure II XE for the Atari 8-bit is almost ready to be released. This is what Cafeman tells us in today’s update in a thread that started in 2013 while making available a demo version for all of us to try.
Adventure II XE, a homage to Warren Robinett’s original Atari 2600 game, Adventure, is a revised and expanded 64k version of the Adventure II game released in 2007 for the Atari 5200 – this one with 32k.
- Small, Medium, and Vast kingdoms to explore!
- 22 game variations in all, with Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Special skill levels! (The demo contains the first 9 variations)
- New and more varied hiding places for helpful items!
- New VR Mode (“Very Random”) for you experts!
- The three “secret dots” hiding spots change for each game variation!
- New sounds and music!
- New end-of-game stats and rankings!
- New XE-joystick-compatible “one-button” control! Press quickly to swap items left/right; Hold button down to drop!
- Tweaked screens, paths, and creature behavior!
In the game, you play the hero who has to find his way to the Dark Kingdom’s castle to retrieve the lost Chalice. The challenge is to pass through the mazes, find keys and unlock the many gates that are between you and your objective.
Cafeman states that the demo version is 99% the same as the final one. The demo will help him to gather feedback from other players to either tweak the gameplay or fix bugs that could be found.
The demo can only be played on an Atarimax 1mb or 8mb carts, or in an emulator such as Altirra or Atari800MacX. In my case, I used the latter with the file named AdvII_XE_Demo_020520_XEGS.bin, added it as cartridge and selected the Switchable XEGS 64K Cartridge option. Based on Cafeman‘s description, Altirra should work the same way.
Make sure you also read the PDF manual linked in the forum thread, which will explain all the game types, controls, etc. However, in a nutshell, you use the joystick to walk around. To use/carry an object you simply touch it. Hold the fire button to drop it, or tap the same button to rotate it.
To download the game, head over Atariage thread following the link below!
Link: Adventure II Thread