On Oct 21st, 2015, Marty McFly arrives in our year, finally! The future pictured in the movie is not quite right, but it is an important date nonetheless.
To celebrate this day, we have selected few retro games you should play, if you haven’t done already.
Since we are talking specifically about the second movie, our choices are narrowed down to Back to The Future II released for the Amiga, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum and PC (also consoles like NES and Megadrive/Genesis).
The game is very Arcady in its game play, starting with Mcfly riding his hoverboard, kicking the bad guys.
The game consists of five parts, each inspired by one of the movie’s most memorable scenes:
- Hoverboard Chase: A Paperboy clone without newspapers, but with isometric levels and lots of enemies to dodge.
- Jennifer Rescue: Guide Marty’s girlfriend Jennifer out of the house without her meeting one of the four family members. Open and close doors to make the persons go from one room to the next in this top-down puzzle sequence.
- Beat Biff: A side-scrolling beat-em-up sequence in the tradition of Double Dragon. Fight your way through a grim 1985 by jumping, hitting and kicking at Biff’s lackeys.
- Band Puzzle: Rearrange the mixed-up parts of an animated picture of the school band in this sliding block puzzle. The clock is ticking.
- Hoverboard Chase 2: Another hoverboard sequence, similar to the first one, only this time set in 1955. (http://www.mobygames.com/)
If you are not able to play the game, you can enjoy the Amiga long play video below:
[youtube WOW5iLXIPwM nolink]
The Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum ports are also really good in terms of graphics and gameplay despite the difference in capacity compared to the Amiga and Atari ST. Of course there were some compromises, like some of the levels in two colours on the Speccy, or the not so good screen scroller on the Amstrad version, but none of that diminish the fun of the game.
You can find ROMs to play in an emulator for all versions of the game just googling around.